• Discussion forums are a way for you to engage with each other about the course content. Questions will be asked in the forum. Given the time constraints with this course, there are no lectures associated with this class. The course will rely heavily on the discussions.
• Please make sure that you answer all the discussion board questions and that you periodically review your initial posting for potential questions posed by either me or your classmates. You will receive a weekly grade based on your participation. In order to earn full credit for each discussion, you will need to post a thoughtful, well-written response to the question and respond to your classmates’ responses. You are required to incorporate a minimum 3 intext citations in your initial post and in your subsequent responses.
• The discussion board replaces the face-to-face interactions and is meant to be a dialogue and a learning activity for the entire class.
• Responses should be at minimum a paragraph, which consists of 5 fully formed sentences. You are required to incorporate a minimum of 3 intext citations in your initial post and in your subsequent responses. A minimum total of 9 intext citations is required for each discussion.
• Responses that are not thoughtful and do not answer the question thoroughly will not receive full credit.
• The content of your postings must demonstrate an understanding of the relevant text material and include citations (3-9 minimum) from either the course reading or supplemental material.
• Please be very cognizant of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, as you will lose points for errors. No cyber speak, please. Use correct grammar, English, and punctuation.
• Only respond to questions that are posted in the discussion forum.
Assignment 3 C (N–Z)
For students with first names starting with the letters N to Z.
Assignments are graded out of a total of 60 points, and they are worth 9% of your total mark.
Submit this assignment after you have completed Unit 3 of the course.
Before you submit this assignment help, make sure you have read the section on Assignments in your Course Orientation.
Part A: Short-answer questions
1. Describe some of the main processes of cancer. (4)
2. Mitosis almost always results in two identical daughter cells. However, in which cells could one find an exception to that rule? (1)
3. What is cytokinesis? (1)
4. Use the following illustration, which shows some stages of three different processes represented by the three columns from left to right, to answer the questions below. (4)
4a. In which columns would you expect genetic recombination? (1)
4b. Crossing-over is not shown in this diagram. Which stage in the diagram is closest to the phase where crossing-over occurs? (E.g., “second column, third stage”) (1)
4c. Indicate all stages in the illustration where the nuclear phase (ploidy) has changed. (2)
5. Compare the final stage of conjugation between an F+ cell and an F- cell with the final stage of conjugation between an Hfr cell and an F- cell. Describe both the donor and the recipient cell and use appropriate terms. (5)
6. What are the two main differences between recombination in meiosis and recombination through mobile elements? (2)