· Read “What is a Light Year” under the Instructor Insights section. Or find it at: http://earthsky.org/space/what-is-a-light-year
Step 2- Respond to the following:
· What does a Light Year measure? Is it a unit of time? Explain.
· According to your reading, how old is our Universe?
· Based on the two points above, what is the greatest distance light could have traveled since the universe formed?
· Why does the “Known Universe” tour STOP at a certain point? Why is this the farthest we can see?
o Discuss the main physical processes that occur in each layer of the sun.
§ What makes the sun so hot? Describe the fusion process that allows it to produce all the energy we require to survive.
§ Fusion is very hard to produce. What about the sun allows fusion to happen there?